Friday, February 25, 2005

Friday February 25, 2005 Why the foul language?

I was in the construction business for over 40 years and dealt with all the trades who help to build buildings and shopping centers and schools and banks. My particular specialty was in the structural steel framing end of the business. I dealt with a lot of ironworkers over the years. These men put up with freezing temperatures, hot burning sun, slippery wet steel, mud, danger at all times, aches and pains and strained muscles. These men had great pride and endurance. And yet for all the troubles they put up with, they very seldom had to resort to the foul language that now is permeating our society. After visiting hundreds of jobsites and working with thousands of tradesmen, I can probably count on my fingers the number of times when the men have resorted to swearing. Their containment of their frustration and anger at times is admirable.

This is why it really bothers me to hear the “f” word or the “s” word or all the foul language bandied about in the movies and games and music and comedies that surround us now. I suppose it is put there to titillate us, but it really demeans us. If you can’t find the proper words to express your anger or frustration, you can always try to shock others by cursing, but it only tends to lower your esteem in the eyes of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment