Sunday, September 16, 2007

Sunday September 16, 2007.....Reflections of an illusion

Here today, gone tomorrow.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Out of sight, out of mind.


All old sayings with an element of truth and a glimpse of the transitory illusion of long life.

When we are young, we think of life as extending off into the distant unknown future with all kinds of possibilities and adventures awaiting us.
As we get older, we realize that life is slipping by and some of the dreams we had aren't going to happen, but we trudge on.
Now that I have gotten older and can look back on my life, I see that the dreams of youth got pushed aside by the realities of life. I gambled and spent some of my youth attempting to insure comfort for later years. I gave up some of my dreams for security. Now that the later years are upon me, I'm not sure that the gamble and expense were worth it.

As old age approaches, you carry mostly the memories of the adventures and the friendship and the love you gained along the way. The "things" that you held onto for security lose much of their worth and importance. Before you know it the end of life comes speeding at you like a train out of the night and all you take with you are your memories.

Perhaps the poets had it right when they espoused "Gather ye rosebuds while ye may".

I do have many fond memories and many great adventures to reflect upon. I wonder how many more I might have had if I had been a bit less reserved and had approached life with a bit more gusto. Who will ever know?

I hope all of you have sweet memories behind you and approach the future with as much gusto as you can muster. Look for the beauty and the joy - it's out there waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment